- Four cents - the cost of the first Christmas postage stamp released in 1962. A simple wreath and two candles were featured. The initial supply released was 350 million. One billion were eventually distributed due to its unexpected popularity.
- Wassailing is a custom of ancient origins and comes from the Ango-Saxon phrase 'waes hael' which means good health.
- Jingle Bells was originally written for Thanksgiving. It is also one of the oldest holiday songs of American origin.
- Electric holiday lights appeared as early as 1882 thanks to Thomas Edison. 1895 saw President Grover Cleveland request an electric light bulb tree. 1903 saw G.E. issue the first kits to the public.
- Mistletoe in doorways dates back to the Ancient Druids who used the plant to ward off evil spirits.
December 3 - Harbor Holidays and the Grinch Visit to the Lighthouse 10am-6pm
Fairport Harbor remains a best kept secret as this annual event clamors for more visitors. Local churches, small businesses and the local museums offer up ethnic foods, holiday crafts and unique stocking stuffers for all tastes. Dr. Suess's infamous Grinch may be seen roaming the village, local library and local shops in search of presents. The annual reading of the classic tale from atop the local lighthouse tower is sure to inspire good spirits.
December 3 - Letters to Santa with Mrs. Claus 10am -11am
The Old Stone Schoolhouse on Ravenna Road in Concord Township is the site for this children's program. Mrs. Claus and her elves help craft letters to Santa. Visit www.concordtwp.com to register
November 27 thru early 2017 - Historic Kirtland's Nativity Display
This free event offers visitors a look at more than 500 nativity sets from around the world. This display has garnered recognition from publications and travel agencies throughout the U.S.
Other December events include
Country Lights at Lake Metroparks Farmpark - Sold Out is the word till 12/23 but visit the park after Christmas Day and build a toy at the noted Toyshop and see the holiday displays on tractor or horse pulled wagons. You'll be back every year!
Lake County History Center - A Victorian Christmas display and more await you here in a most unique setting.
Pine Lodge Ski Center at Chapin Forest - Let it Snow beginning 12/15 thru March 2017.
Holiday Open Houses at Wildwood in Mentor. Tour the manor house on select December dates - visit cityofmentor.com