Built in 1798 as two separate log cabins, The Old Tavern in Unionville was one of the first structures in this part of the Western Reserve, and generally is regarded as the oldest surviving Tavern in Ohio. Strategically located along County Line Road and the Cleveland-Buffalo Road, today's Route 84 the site has had many uses. It has been a Tavern, Inn, Post Office, stage coach stop, UGRR station and restaurant.
A brief look at its timeline reveals the following facts. It was built in 1798 and consisted of two log cabins. Early names of the Tavern were the Webster House followed by the New England House. By 1818, the Tavern had become a regular mailstop and stage coach destination on the Warren-Cleveland Route. The mid-1800s saw the Tavern serve as a station for the UGRR activities throughout Lake County and N.E. Ohio. The Tavern closed for a span of ten years, 1916-1926 before reopening once again. 1986 saw a Pub element come into being. Hard times and unfortunate business practices in the late 90s resulted in a decade long vacancy status for the historic site. The building was nearly declared a total loss and faced possible demolition when in 2014 a group of civic minded citizens acquired the site for just over $90,000. The Unionville Tavern Preservation Society was formed. Matching grants totaling nearly $20,000 were secured and this non-profit group has begun the arduous process of preserving a 'jewel' in our county history. Save the Tavern! welcomes all interested parties to attend a program or share in their passion.
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world.
Indeed it is the only thing that ever has."
For more information: The Unionville Tavern Preservation Society
Save The Tavern!
P.O. Box 826
Madison, Ohio 44057
Sources: Local Lore by Max, 2011 Willoughby Historical Society Cleveland Historical Society