Some of the 'Farms' that made Lake County famous remain known in their respective communities. Many names have become mere footnotes in county history. They have become lost to progress, urbanization, and industry- sadly stream rolled into oblivion. Today we take a brief look at the Farms of Concord Township.
Surveyors reached the area to become known as Concord around the late 1700s. They were on assignment for the Connecticut Land Company and examining the lands known as the Western Reserve. Men such as Perkins and Jordan settled in the area by 1802 and more settlers followed shortly thereafter. Girdled Road was commissioned at a cost of $2600 while Ravenna Road was begun for a mere $50. Gristmills, Woolen Mills, Furnaces, Timber Mills soon occupied Cascade Hollow, Howe's Hollow, Jordan Creek and more. Concord's peak population of 1200 was reached by 1840. Population declined thru 1930 as industry waned. This decrease changed Concord's history around 1918 as farms sprung up and Lake County became a Garden Capital of the Nation. In 2016 these farms are but mere shadows of what once was or just distant memories. Let's see how many you may recall from Concord Township's past. They are in no special order or ranking. Any omissions are unintentional.
Homestead Farm - Archives date it back to 1810, it was on the corner of Johnnycake Ridge and the State Rt. 44 interchange. J.J. Anderson was the owner and in its 100 year history it provided produce to the Painesville Market et al.
Cobble Knoll Farm - E. D. Rust was the owner and Rhode Island Reds were this poulterers main income. The farm was located on Auburn Road at Cloverdale Lake.
Ridgewood Farm- At 180 acres, it was one of the larger area farms of its day. A. L. Minor was the owner. Oats, wheat, corn, potatoes as well as some cows and swine were the mainstays. The original farmhouse remains may be seen on Johnnycake Ridge Road - near the Cherry Hill, Brian and David Drive section of Concord Twp.
Home Acres Farm - Established in 1915, Mrs. Chloe Cole was the owner and fruit was the main product.
Valley View Farm- J. P. Murphy was the proprietor and Murphy's Irish Bakers were his trademark crop. His farm is now the Brightwood Lake sub-division.
Other Concord Twp. Farms-
Brookdale - W.E. Leuty, owner
Murray Meadows- M.A. Murray, owner
Green Meadows- S.J. Merrill, owner
The Spring Dale- Middlefield Lumber Co.
Old Homestead- F.H. Murray
Orchard Slope Farms- Melvin Pattison, owner
Roadside Farm- Mrs. W.M. Radcliffe, Mrs. L.L. Pomeroy, owners
Chestnut Hill Farm- Lovina Taylor, G.E. Taylor, owners
Brookside- Charles B. Winchell, owner
source- 1915 New Century Atlas of Lake County, Ohio-copy at Morley Library