It is always difficult to craft an article or entry that shares 100% of your vision. This can be especially true when one attempts to choose historical events to share about a particular city, municipality or community. I begin today's entry with my usual refrain about Lake County being Ohio's smallest county with perhaps the most history. With apologies to The Kirtland Temple, The Mooreland Mansion and Historic Kirtland history sites let's begin today's challenge. Do you know the answers to these ten questions dealing with Kirtland, Ohio?
1. In 1923 the John Wanamaker Store in Philadelphia purchased three stone cottages from England. One cottage dated back to 1492. The structures found their way to America in 1925 and to Kirtland by 1945. American entertainment icons Cole Porter, Gloria Swanson and Joan Crawford visited this man's estate. Name this Kirtland personality or estate on Little Mountain Road and Hart.
2. Pastoral Terrors abound each fall as the story of these personalities lead visitors to Wisner Road in search of a siting. Name these local legendary figures.
3. A 1920 meeting of David Norton, Edward Moore and Mrs. Henry Everett led to the creation of this famous Kirtland site. It still exists today- Can you name it?
4. If you know the answer to question three, then you know the 580 acres, 25 outbuildings and 1910 stone mansion was once known as this?
5. Kirtland got its name from Turhand Kirtland yet it is is son that may have had the most lasting impact on this community. Name this famous son whose contributions to the fields of science are many.
6. Samuel and Blanche Halle purchased 424 acres in 1912 in Kirtland for their summer farm. What Lake Metropark property occupies their former site? Hint - a horse barn is the visitor center.
7. Sixty percent of this 1808 holding lies within Chapin Forest. This topography also marks the beginning of the Allegheny Plateau. Name the man or mountain that goes by this surname.
8. 9019 Kirtland-Chardon Road is the location of the county's oldest stone home dating back to 1841. The owner was Henry Earl. Known as the Vineyard House, today it is home to this national organization.
9. Over 170 years ago Chris G. Crary obtained the first 156 acres of this site. Other owners included the Criswell Family, Farinacci Family and Locust Farms. In 1990 it was acquired by Lake Metroparks and is now known as...
10. It was conceived as a memorial for his oldest daughter in 1931. Warren Corning donated land, collections and even served as director in its infancy. Name this well-known Kirtland property.
answers- 1.Leonard C. Hanna 2. Melonheads 3. Kirtland Country Club 4. Leo Doro Farms 5. Dr. Jared Kirtland 6. Penitentiary Glen 7. S.A. Gildersleeve 8. Herb Society of America 9. Farmpark 10. Holden Arboretum