Monday, July 15, 2013

Perry Village Celebrating 100 Years

Perry Village's Lee Lydic Park will be the site of a 100th birthday celebration on July 21, 2013.  While family activities, fun and food for all are on the schedule, Perry's place in Lake County is also of note.  Perry Village is part of the three Perry's; Perry Village, Perry Township and North Perry Village.  A two mile square portion of the village in close proximity to the railroads of the day allowed a business and trade area to develop.  The year was 1913 and this downtown area became known officially as the "Village of Perry".  "Preserving the Sands of Time" since 1992 is the Perry Historical Society.  The Perry Historical Museum occupies the former Old Town Hall located on the corner of Center and Main Street.  The Historical Society workroom is at 4261 Manchester Street at the village school.  While Sunday's activities begin at 2pm, one can visit the historical society museum on weekends and experience the still evolving history of this community.  A visit to the society website or a call (440-259-4541) is all it takes.

Some Perry Trivia-
  • An Ohio Historical Marker honors Hugh Mosher.  Born in Perry, Mosher was the fifer portrayed in the famous painting of the "Spirit of '76".
  • Perry took its name from Commodore O.H. Perry after his famous naval victory in September 1813 on Lake Erie.
  • Perry had its own inter-urban stop in the 20th century.
  • Watchmen stopped vehicle traffic at the Main Street Railroad Crossing.
  • An early school - Schoolhouse # 9 was located on Lane Road.
  • The Perry Consolidated Schools was located on Narrows Road.
  • Paul and Dick Thompson were part of the Champion Nursery Horse Team.
  • Martin's Nursery has been in Perry since 1934.  It is still family owned and operated.
  • Perry's location along the shorelines of Lake Erie has made it an ideal location for vineyards and the nursery business over the past two centuries (see nursery blog featured previously).

No comments:

Post a Comment