" Mommy, why is our street named Prouty?" Ever wonder how streets get their name? The anthology of History Hall released last July can answer the question posed above. For those living in Concord here is the history in a nutshell.
Jacob and Selima Prouty moved from their home in Spencer, Massachusetts or Simsbury, Connecticut in the early 1820's to Concord. Genealogy records indicate the original spelling might have been Proutey, Proutee, Prout, le Proute or Prowty among others. The Prouty name has roots back to Plymouth Colony circa 1670. Jacob purchased parcels of land totaling in excess of 275 acres between 1824-1837. Tax records in 1845 indicate the majority of acreage was land in the same area as the current roadway. Edward Prouty was their son and his marriage to Betsey Woodruff ( of Lula Sawyer fame) alongwith tax records of 1870 indicate the family had attained prominent county status. Jacob was a Trustee of Concord and an election judge. Paul Bosley Sr., another prominent name in county history related stories of the Inter-urban Stop 68 being near the Sawyer House being within walking distance of their home and a gasoline station.
Jacob's son Edward was a farmer and public officer in his years. His children were also prominent in their day. Son Harry was a noted lawyer and other son Willis was a school director, trustee and supervisor in Concord.
The Prouty family plot is located in division 13 of Evergreen Cemetery in Painesville. An obelisk marks the spot. In Button Farm Cemetery at 10100 Hoose Road a family burial plot for their sons was still there in 1999.
source - History Hall...article by Marianne T. Wiley