Storm Rosa was born in 1791 in a typical 'Sleepy Hollow' Catskill village of the era known as Coxsackie, N.Y. Not much is known about his N.Y. early years although by his 22nd year he was preparing for his future career under Dr. Doubleday and Dr. Greene. Upon graduating in 1816, he hung up his shingle in Centerville ( Madison, Ohio).
Rosa and his wife, Sophia settled in a home on Washington Street. In time, he prospered and hired noted architect Jonathan Goldsmith to build him a home. Dr. Storm branched out into community affairs and by 1829 became President of the Painesville Academy. He led the academy until 1851 when it was taken over by the first public school system of the day.
Dr. Rosa next turned his attentions to the newly formed Medical College in Chagrin (Willoughby,Ohio). He served as an adjunct professor in its first year-1834. His interests next led him to a stint with the Geauga Agricultural Society, a term as Associate Judge of the Court of Common Pleas, a year as editor of The Painesville Telegraph and lastly campaign leader for William Henry Harrison and Whig Party causes.
His greatest moment came in 1843 when his ever inquiring mind brought him into contact with homeopathic schools of thought. He embraced this concept and became an early crusader preaching the benefits of cleanliness, diet, and preventative medicine. Published extracts, articles, and a leading position on the newly formed Homeopathic Society followed in quick succession. By 1849, Dr. Rosa chaired a national convention held in Cleveland as well securing a chair at the Eclectic Medical Institute in Cincinnati. A firm belief in the 'water cure' led the Doctor to build a stone bath house on Little Mountain Road in 1855. This resort and its water and gymnasium based therapies lasted a few years. Despite some family sorrows, Rosa championed homeopathy into the Civil War years. He helped the Northern cause until the time of his passing in 1864.
source: Historical Society Quarterly - February, 1964