- February 8, 1848 - Ohio Legislature incorporates Cleveland, Painesville, and Ashtabula Railroad Companies
- 1851- Painesville Depot is officially in service
- February 16, 1861- President-elect Abraham Lincoln passes thru Painesville Depot
- 1869 - A major consolidation of several lines and companies occurs and a major renaming
- 1893- Present station at 475 Railroad Road in Painesville is built. Considered to be the finest of its day!
- 1917- Depot serves as a 'Goodbye' station for WWI inductees
- 1940s- Depot serves as a canteen for WWII enlisted
- 1971- A merger results in the official closing of the depot
- 1971-88 - Greyhound bus Station occupies former depot
- 1997- Preservation efforts are begun in earnest by WRRA, a non-profit group
- 2002- Depot is listed as Lake County Historic Site # 18-43
- April 20, 2015 - City of Painesville designates Depot as a Preservation District
The Painesville Depot located at 475 Railroad Street in Painesville, Ohio has a storied past. Since 1997 a local non-profit group as well as local business donors have quietly gone about the task of restoring the site to its past glory. Exterior efforts have resulted in a new roof and restored display Caboose. Interior efforts while ongoing seek to restore the interior lobby to its 'heyday' when the depot was considered to be the finest of the era. 'Railfanning' Days are unique events where railroad enthusiasts gather to watch, record, and enjoy trains as they pass. Since 9/11 this nostalgic public event has become more difficult as railroad grounds have become more restricted. Nonetheless the depot site in Painesville offers train lovers a great and close view of this popular activity. On average four trains pass per hour thru Painesville. 'Railfanning' Days also offer the public the opportunity to see the former station inside and out as members of the Painesville Railroad Museum are on-site to share their passions for railroading.
2016 Railfanning Days include- May 7, July 24, September 10, October 15
A first ever Railroad Memorabilia Show is scheduled for August 28, 2016, 10am-4pm
Visit www.painesvillerailroadmuseum.org for more updated information